Community Conservation Officer – Part time
£24,000 per annum – pro rata for 2 days a week
Fixed term contract of 12 months
Based in our Selsey Office + home working
To start as soon as possible
Project Area – selected parishes on the Manhood Peninsula
The closing date: Wednesday 23rd January 2019
This project, which is funded by the Postcode Local Trust, is to encourage people from across the Manhood Peninsula to participate in wildlife conservation activities and to help them set up groups to manage local sites, which have value for wildlife. Support will be provided through training in practical conservation techniques, Health & Safety, habitat and species surveying and by providing a pool of tools and equipment.
Supporting and empowering local communities to take ownership of their environment, we believe, is a sustainable model for managing local wildlife sites.
The Community Conservation Officer will recruit, induct and mentor local people and help establish community groups to run conservation activities, in order to care for selected wildlife sites. They will organise and lead working parties and training events, create volunteer focused training materials and promote Health and Safety. Additionally, they will create publicity and promote and publicise the work of the Manhood Wildlife & Heritage Group generally.
We are looking for people who ideally have the following:
- Experience of recruiting and supporting volunteers
- Experience of organising and leading volunteers in practical conservation tasks
- Experience of giving talks and presentations
- Knowledge of the project area – ie. local knowledge
- Good organisational skills generally
- The ability to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally
- Understanding of the H&S requirements of running volunteer work days and knowledge of how to carry out risk assessments
- A general knowledge of how to create and enhance wildlife habitats
Apply for the role of Community Conservation Officer via environmentjob.co.uk or the form below. Include a cover letter and your CV.
Job Vacancy Now Closed to Applications