Ditches have many advantages over culverts;
- Open ditches are able to hold large amounts of water
- Ditches can be easily checked for blockages such as debris and litter
- Ditches can be cleared once a blockage is identified
- Ditches allow water to be absorbed back into the surrounding soil
- Ditches enable water to evaporate back into the atmosphere
- Ditches allow vegetation growth and provide a riparian habitat.
- The construction of new culverts is being discouraged because they increase flood risk and damage the environment.
If you have a culvert – the bigger the better and keep them clear← Legislation Contents Sympathetic Management →